Green Party of Saskatchewan

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Immediate Costs of Climate Change in Saskatchewan


An email I sent to my MLA today, August 23, 2011.

To:
Joceline Schriemer
Saskatchewan Party
MLA
Saskatoon-Sutherland

From:
Larry Waldinger
Green Party of Saskatchewan
Candidate
Saskatoon-Sutherland

Joceline:

For a while now I have been thinking about the costs in Saskatchewan of recent flooding and other extreme weather events. My understanding is that the effects of global warming are hitting us hard already. This is not some far off fantasy that we shouldn't concern ourselves with. This is a real problem with real consequences affecting us now.

When I started to read your August 17 Legislative Report I was hopeful that you had come to the same conclusion about the immediate impact of global warming. I quickly realized that no such connection was made in your report.

Today I called your office to request some figures for damage in Saskatchewan. I spoke with Danielle and she indicated that she would pull some figures together. I think it is important for us to begin to understand the current and growing costs of global climate change and to begin to take proactive measures to address the issue.  The F3 tornado in Goderich is a good, recent reminder of what is going on, and I think many other citizens are also starting to put the pieces together. I hope you can help.

Regards,

Larry Waldinger

No comments:

Post a Comment