Green Party of Saskatchewan

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Understanding "Why did Conservatives vote Conservative?"

This purpose of this posting is to generate dialog and understanding across party lines. The nucleus of the debate is the question: "Why did Conservatives vote Conservative?"

I thought media news coverage was fair or even biased against the Conservatives leading up to the election. There were stories available that did not present Conservatives in the best possible light. I am referring to stories like contempt of parliament, campaign funding fraud (in-n-out), changed documents, prorogation, muzzling of bureaucrats, etc. Enough material came to the surface that that it seemed the vote would swing in the opposite direction than it did.

With dialog alternate parties could gain a better understanding of Conservatives, and Conservatives could understand better the fears of others.

I am going to initiate the debate by filling in the blanks. I have a suggestion for what I feel is the most likely explanation to come from Conservatives when confronted by their record of unpopular decisions. I have already heard it in my canvasing. Many conservatives say that other parties have their scandals too and nothing leading up to the election was serious enough to make them change their minds about their choice of party.

Here is another reason, and this reason may also be very important. Voters got tired of elections and voted against more elections. This is probably the most important reason Ignatief failed so catastrophically.

Below is my prioritized list of reasons people voted Conservative:
  1. The economy.
  2. Don't want any more elections.
  3. Others are also corrupt.
  4. I have always been conservative.
  5. Don't believe in abortion.
  6. Don't like Ignatief.
  7. Want stability.
  8. Want a fair system.
I invite you to add to the list, prioritize it yourself in a comment, or edit it at will. I also welcome you to create a list of reasons why people voted for non-Conservatives or to create any other list you think might be interesting.

Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment